Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre Development Trust operates a Car Club where Members of the Club can lease a Nissan Leaf Electric Vehicle from as little as 1 hour or for as long as they need. Membership is subject to Terms and Conditions which can be viewed by clicking on the box below.
We aim to keep the membership rates as low as possible, click here to see the current Membership fees and lease rates.
To apply to become a Member, you can either fill in the on-line form below or, you can download a form, fill it in and send it to us at the Trust's offices. There is some other paperwork to do, so please make sure your read the instructions on the forms. If you need any help, just get in touch.
Once you are a Member, we will need to show you around the car as well as how to charge it, should you need to. We will also show you how to gain access to it at the beginning of your hire.
As a Member, booking the car couldn't be easier! You can either phone the REWDT offices, or book via the link below where you can see, at a glance, if the car is free when you want to use it. We can show you how on-line booking works, too!
Volunteer Driver Trial Service
We now have three volunteers, our thanks to Ian & Sally Turner and Martin Metherell for agreeing to be our volunteer drivers.
This service is for RESIDENTS ONLY between the hours of 07:30 and 18:30 to accommodate travel to and from the first and last ferry.
This is a trial and we are keen to have more volunteer drivers to boost the availability. If you are interested in joining us, please let the REW DT office know.
With only three volunteers and only one EV, please understand that there may be times when the service is not available, but we will try to be as flexible as possible. This scheme is to provide transport support to all residents and cover any emergencies but is not a taxi or bus service equivalent.
How to book an EV driver: -
1. If you have internet access check on our website booking calendar to see if the EV is available. Only for those without internet access, please call the volunteers and ask them to check availability.
2. If you wish to be taken off Rousay, phone the Tingwall office to check if there is space for the EV on the ferry.
3. Phone one of the volunteers to arrange the details of the booking
§ Sally – phone Sally’s mobile 07368 221735 first, if no answer call 821215
§ Ian - phone Ian’s mobile 07488 349370 first, if no answer call 821215
§ Martin – phone Martin’s mobile first 07775 676759, if no answer call 821469
4. The driver will then book the car out on the website and include any charging time to avoid any issues if there is a request for another booking when the EV’s battery is drained.
5. The driver will enter the time used into the register in the EV (Blue folder) and the REW DT will email the booker at the end of the month.
6. If the booker wishes to go to Mainland Orkney and does not have car ferry tickets (and passenger ones if needed), the REW DT can provide these and will add the cost to the hire invoice. The booker will need to also pay or provide ferry passenger tickets for the driver, they are volunteers and should not be expected to pay ferry fares.